Friday, January 28, 2011

We Need Each Other

What to write about today... My lack of sleep made it extremely difficult to get out of bed this morning, especially because I have been getting so much sleep every night. But here I am, ready and willing to focus on my creator. Today I kinda want to talk about friends, and spiritual community.
I don't know what I would do without my friends. There have been times in my life when I have felt very distant from friends, and they have been some of the lowest points in my life. God created us to be in community, not only community with others, but community with him. I feel that Christian relationships are so much stronger, because Christ is the binding cord for us.
It seems funny to me that Jesus would have a best friend, because he was... God. But it is made quite clear that John was his "best friend". Jesus told him things and showed him things that he didn't tell other people. And because Jesus had a tight circle of friends, he showed me that it was okay to have that. A part of me has always kind of felt bad for having a few select really close friends. But Jesus did. It has been hard for me to find a balance of what I tell anyone and what I should only save for my close friends. I have made the mistake several times of telling people about issues in my life or things that I am dealing with and it has not been the best decision. When the person doesn't know the way my mind works or about my past they can misread what a say or they will just look on me with judgement.
But my close friends have been with me long enough to know what I have struggled with in the past and the way my heart and mind perceive things. They will also keep me accountable for the things I do and always make sure I am in step with the Lord.
The hardest thing about moving, was losing my spiritual community. The first thing I wanted to do was seek out a new one, because without those friends being a part of my support structure I felt very lonely and vulnerable. It wasn't that long ago that I started to find that and begin to work on relationships. It is especially hard, when the other people know each other and you are trying to work your way in.
I have been so thankful that God sent me people. There isn't any bonds like I have with people at home, but that could change, unless I have more moving around to do. I don't know how long I plan on staying here, I don't know where I am going next. But I do know that God has something in mind for me. I wish I knew what it was so that I could plan accordingly, but I know that he likes surprises. My prayer is that although I may go around from place to place, he will always provide me with spiritual community.
Part of the reason I hope to go to discipleship school is because of the friendships that get formed. Like I said earlier, growing in Christ together really strengthens relationships.
The reason that long term missions has been something that I have wanted to do for awhile is because it is all about developing relationships with the people of that country. And it becomes an amazing thing to see God using those relationships to bring Glory to himself.
Our God is a mighty and a powerful God, but he is also a relational God. He wants to be our best friend and our lover. He wants to be the one we think about straight out of bed and throughout the day.
And now I have to drag my tired body to work, and there is no way I will be able to do it without God's strength, so I am pretty lucky to have that at my disposal. Love you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment