Sunday, January 30, 2011

holier than thou

So I was up this morning chatting with my mom and dad about several things and one thing that we touched on was the way some people act like they are too knowledgeable to get taught by someone else. I admit that I have often felt this way and have had to fight that feeling off during teachings. Sometimes when I have all ready decided in my head that I can't learn anything from somebody, I just wait for them to say something wrong so that I can discredit everything they say.
It hurts me to see that I have treated some people that way, when they were godly people just trying to convey a message of Christ. But the enemy is very cunning. He knows how to get in our heads and screw with our minds. If he can't make us disown Christ, he makes us feel holier than we are so that he can get us to stop listening to Christian leaders.
How does this start? What puts it in our heads that we are so much better than other people? I think that I have often been taught that the Christian community today has been very screwed up, and we have lost the fire of the early church. And I think when I hear a speaker that is not giving me a message about being super radical that I write them off as people that are stifling the passion and the power of the Holy Spirit. I clearly see the error in this judgement. There is no need to tell me, but that's how my mind tends to operate.
What I need is some rewiring. I need to recognize that people put into leadership are usually there for a good reason and they have godly hearts and want to give us something, not take anything. I will never stop taking the things I hear and weighing things against the Bible. It is still important to make sure things are biblical and accurate. If you believe everything that you hear, it will create some conflicts.
There is so much that people have to offer. And when we close our minds to that we tend to miss out on all kinds of cool stuff. As long as we make sure to put everything we hear through our truth filter (aka the Bible) then we should be good.
I really have nothing more to say on this subject. But this blog is super short. So, forgive me. I will try to think longer thoughts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment